Today, September 22nd, is the official first day of fall here in Georgia, the United States and throughout the northern hemisphere. Now is an optimal time to share ideas with you of the best stone, landscaping and planting projects to tackle during this time… and an additional suggestion for a project you should be setting in motion now for execution next spring.
The project that more people focus on than any other at this time of year is a Fireplace or Fire Pit. As we have often discussed in previous articles, us Georgians are known for our great affinity toward being outdoors, enjoying the cool, crisp weather gathering around our outdoor Fireplaces and Fire Pits.
If you are considering building either of these iconic symbols of fall on your property this year or next, you need to come see us as soon as possible: for ideas, help with your plans, materials and/or connecting with the best contractors in our area. We love to help people just like you create the perfect Fireplace/Fire Pit setting unique to your particular situation.
We now offer these additional ideas for this important time of year:
- Mulching your flower and other garden beds
- Yes, mulching is optimal in the spring, but fall is also a good time to mulch, either for freshening up what you did in the spring after the long summer months, or because you didn’t have a chance to do it in the spring. As we have mentioned in previous articles, we prefer mulch to pine straw and/or other substrates as the best covering in your flower beds, rock beds, vegetable gardens and other landscapes.
- Fall planting: trees and shrubs
- Fall is actually the best time of year to plant trees and shrubs in our area, according to the University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Outreach program (previously highlighted in this previous article from 2019): The cooler, often drier weather at this time of year allows your newly-planted trees and shrubs extended time to get established in lower stress conditions as compared to spring or summer.
- Fall planting and harvesting: vegetables
- Here are the best vegetables to plant in the months of September and October, according to the UGA Cooperative Extension program: beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, collards, lettuce, mustard, onions, radishes, spinach, turnips, and kale.
- Harvest your green peppers and tomatoes before the first frost, which usually comes in November
SPECIAL NOTE FOR ALL PLANTINGS AT THIS TIME OF YEAR: make sure to water all new plantings “deeply and thoroughly” to keep them from being stressed during this drier time of year.
IMPORTANT PROJECTS YOU WILL EXECUTE IN THE SPRING BUT SHOULD SET PLANS IN MOTION NOW:
- Are you thinking about installing a pool? Fall is the time to plan for it, find a pool contractor and lock that company in for the spring. If you wait until the spring to make these plans you will find that the best pool contractors will be already booked up through the mid to late summer and you will be lucky to get in a month or two of enjoyment in the summer of 2022.
At Stone Distributors we specialize in helping you with your project in any way that you need. Whether that means only a little, or every step of the way. Come on into our conveniently located yard today and talk with us about your ideas and plans, whether for a Fireplace, Fire Pit, Pool deck or any other stone or landscaping project you have in mind. We always welcome you to share or get some ideas while checking out our abundant variety of stone and materials we have in stock.
We can show you how to take those visions in your imagination and put them into reality for yourself (DIY project); or put you in touch with one of the highly- qualified contractors right here in the Marietta/Cobb County/Atlanta, Georgia area. We are located at 1675 Bells Ferry Road in Marietta.
Come right onto our lot, contact us at (678) 354-0566, or visit us online at https://www.stonedist.com. You can also follow us at or our Stone Distributors Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stonedist/ or on Instagram. We are open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays (today) from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; closed on Sundays. #Stone_Distributors.
To access the monthly recommendations for each and every month of the entire year, go to: https://extension.uga.edu/publications/detail.html?number=C943#September